March 31, 2015, 5:33 pm Undercurrent News (photo by Fishermen's Finest)
Washington state-based Fishermen's Finest, which fishes Alaska groundfish, is delivering its petition against the halibut fishery to Washington state governor Jay Inslee on Tuesday, company president Dennis Moran told Undercurrent News on Monday.
The petition includes 23,000 signatures, which the company gathered in 17 days, supporting its aim of convincing the governor to stop the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC) from imposing proposed decreases -- ranging from 10% to 50% -- to the halibut bycatch allotment for Alaska groundfish fleets.
The company expects the bycatch decreases to have a devastating one-to-one impact on revenue for Amendment 80 flatfish fishing operations in the Bering Sea.
In other words, if the 50% halibut allocation limit went through, companies would see flatfish revenues sink by 50% on average over the course of several years.
"This reallocation will cause a handful of Alaska fishermen to gain an additional $44 million over the next ten years but will cause the loss of $1.2 billion and 4,900 jobs in the Washington state fishing and shipbuilding industry," the company says in a petition.
Delivering 23,172 signatures to the honorable Governor Jay Inslee of Washington State.
Read More on this issue (content gathered by FF):
- SeafoodNews.Com: A80 Capt Gives his take on Halibut Bycatch
- Fishermen's News: Margaret Bauman April 1, 2015
- FishFinest.Com: IPHC Halibut History
- FishFinest.Com: NPFMC Testimony: Little
- Fishermen's News: NPFMC Gears up for Bering Sea Halibut Bycatch Decision
- FishFinest.com: Team Alaska
- Undercurrent: Groundfish Fleet Faces Big Blow From Halibut Bycatch Proposals
- SeafoodNews.Com: Fishermen's Finest Calls for EIS in Bering Sea Halibut
- FishFinest.Com: Halibut NPFMC Seattle
- Groundfish Forum: How Alaska's A.80 Fleet Has Managed Halibut
- Fishermen's News: Bycatch Accouting Disconnects
- Anchorage Daily News: Alaska's Economic Impact on Puget Sound is Strong
- PacificFishing.Com: Alaska's Flatfish Trawl Fleet is an Important Economic Contributor
- SeafoodNews.Com: A.80 Fleet takes Further Measures to Reduce Halibut
- FishFinest.Com: Intrepid Resource Stewards
- FishFinest.Com: Halibut Bycatch
Fishermen's Finest ~ a team of excellence ~ our name says it all.